Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Terrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day

The Menzingers-  June 29, 2012; The Barbary/Gunner’s Run, Philadelphia

The Menzingers are basically the adopted sons of Philadelphia.  Originally from Scranton, PA, they have found a niche in the punk scene of Southeastern Pennsylvania.  I love them.  They’re different.  I don’t listen to them as I would most bands.  I have never sat down to figure out where their influences came from.  I just enjoy what they produce. 

No matter how much I love the Menzingers, this night was doomed from its inception. 

On June 29th, the temperature in Philly was approximately three bazillion degrees.  The poorly-planned outfit I had packed to change into at work before heading to the show was quite seriously the worst idea ever.  It was just jeans, Chucks and a black three-quarters t-shirt.  I should have just packed a down winter coat, because I was immediately regretting the choice upon walking out of the office.  The thought of climbing into my car to sit in Philly traffic while perched a black leather seat made me whimper a bit, but the Menzingers were waiting!

This was not working out well thus far, but I wanted to check these guys off my list.  I was already irritated with myself for putting off the Wonder Years.  I couldn’t let the Menzingers down too! 

I spent the equivalent of three minutes in the second floor bar of the Barbary, attempting to drink enough to make the stifling heat more bearable.  Not a chance.  That’s when I realized I could hear the Menzingers already playing downstairs.  It was only 7:30!  Oh, well.  They were amazing… for the five songs we heard.  We hid in a nook by the merch tables to avoid body heat when it was announced that the Menzingers would be doing an acoustic set at Gunner’s Run after the show.  That was all we needed to hear.  We were out the door before the announcement was even complete to secure a good seat and grab food like old people flocking the early bird special. 

Mistake number two of the night was assuming that the acoustic set would be relaxing.  A group of approximately 25 people, instead of finding a good vantage point in the rather nice restaurant, crowded around the corner set up for live music, completely blocking the view for the rest of the establishment. 

Gunner’s Run has great food, by the way.  And if you check in on Foursquare, you get a free Pabst pounder.  Unfortunately, if you know me at all, I refuse to drink Pabst.  I’m convinced it has a secret ingredient that will automatically turn me into a brainwashed hipster who no longer has any drive to contribute the Gross National Product. 

Did I mention that I was already miserable?

There were two women who were considered the Menzinger’s surprise guests.  I didn’t know who they were, and, quite honestly, was perturbed by their music.  I pretended to be listening until my companion shot a pleading look my way. 

Essentially giving up, we got back in the car and were home just in time for an absolutely torrential thunderstorm that lasted for HOURS.  I guess the night could have been worse.

All in all, the major positives at the end of the night were 1. We thoroughly enjoyed Gunner’s Run’s food and atmosphere and 2. I will be attempting to see the Menzingers again when I am no longer suffering from heat stroke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment